Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter
Connect your Digital Journal account with Facebook or Twitter to use this feature.
Connect
Log In Sign Up
In the Media

article imageCans of bug spray explode inside Northern Virginia home

article:317617:5::0
By Leigh Goessl
Jan 9, 2012 in Odd News
Share
Falls Church - On Sunday night a Northern Virginia man was injured and several people displaced from their homes after an electrical spark ignited several aerosol cans of bug spray.
According to a Jan. 9 Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department statement, the explosion, which occurred about 7:15 p.m. on Sunday, occurred after an electrical spark from a nearby refrigerator ignited about a dozen aerosol repellant cans.
Firefighters were en route to the Falls Church townhouse in response to a call about a medical emergency and officials said the explosion happened just prior to their arrival to the scene.
One adult man was injured in the fire with non-life threatening injuries. He was transported to a nearby hospital to receive treatment for his wounds; the man's injuries were not specified by rescue officials.
Two townhouses were severely damaged from this explosion. Fire investigators reported 'severed several floor joists' and 'pushed out a room wall', and the explosion also caused damage to the adjoining townhouse.
At this time officials have said there is no estimate assessed to the damages the properties sustained. The Red Cross is assisting the 11 individuals who cannot return to their homes.
Two days ago a similar bug spray explosion occurred in a restaurant in Australia. The owner had laid down some insect bombs and his restaurant exploded after an electrical spark from the refrigerator ignited.
The owner, Karlos Farah, said "he had seen the warnings on the cans," however didn't realize electrical items could ignite the fumes from the bug spray.
"It's probably a reminder to everybody that with the aerosol cans it's not just keeping them away from flames," Farah had said. "Probably one person out of 1000 would think that a fridge could explode from the fumes."
article:317617:5::0
More about fairfax county, fairfax county fire department, bug spray explosion, Bug spray, falls church
More news from
Latest News
Top News
Engage

Corporate

Help & Support

News Links

copyright © 2014 digitaljournal.com   |   powered by dell servers