Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter
Connect your Digital Journal account with Facebook or Twitter to use this feature.

article imageNorway attack threat call ignored

By Amanda Payne     Jan 7, 2012 in World
The Scandinavian country of Norway reeled in horror in July 2011 as one of their own people went on a killing rampage, murdering 77 people and injuring 151. Now it seems a warning phone call was received some months before the attack.
Anders Behring Breivik set off a bomb on July 22 2011 in Norway's capital, Oslo, before heading to the island of Utoeya to attack young people attending a Labour party summer camp.
Now as he awaits trial on 16 April, new evidence has come to light of a phone call received through a government switchboard some months before the incident. The switchboard operator made a note of the conversation, in March 2011, with a man who talked about a manifesto and the shooting of young people belonging to the Labour Party, currently in government in Norway.
However, it was decided that the conversation was not a serious threat and so the police were not informed. According to the BBC, Margaret Vaagdal who is communications chief at the government services centre said "The call was never considered as a real threat but more like a vague and incoherent conversation," It appears that he had made other calls to a government ministry to get membership lists for the youth wings of a number of Norwegian political parties.
News of the phone calls was broken on 6 Jan by a Norwegian radio station, NRK. According to News24, it was only after the attacks that the police were alerted to the contents of the phone call, details of which had been carefully written down by the receptionist who took the call.
Meanwhile, psychiatric reports made by two court -appointed psychiatrists have been challenged by mental health experts. Originally he was said to be 'insane' but prison psychiatrists say he is sane and have not put him on any kind of medication. Families of the victims are insisting that he be tried as a sane man and feel that he may be trying to manipulate the people sent to evaluate him.
The Daily Telegraph reports that if he is declared sane and is found guilty of the terrorism charges, Breivik faces jail time of up to 21 years but if declared insane he will be sent to a psychiatric facility for three years, with the possibility of extensions to that term if it is considered necessary.
Voice of America says that Anders Breivik confessed to the crimes but denies criminal responsibility. He believed that Norway needed to be saved from Muslim immigration and that Norwegian politicians needed to be punished for allowing multiculturalism to flourish.
Media interest in the April trial will be intense as the world waits to see what will happen to the serial killer who had warned the government of what he planned to do but who was not stopped.
More about Norway, Anders Behring Breivik, anonymous call, norwegian bomber
More news from

Corporate

Help & Support

News Links

copyright © 2014 digitaljournal.com   |   powered by dell servers