It was reported
a year ago that discount department retailer Target would open more than 100 stores in the Canadian market by purchasing Zellers’ 189 leaseholds. The store’s deal is estimated at $1.82 billion
and will begin operating north of the border in 2013.
In a press release
Thursday, Target announced its first 24 stores to open in Canada. All of the first 24 locations will operate in Ontario and more than a dozen will be in the Greater Toronto Area.
The company said that it will cost as much as $11 million to remodel each facility to create the Target brand experience within each Canadian area. Every Target store will consist of between 150 and 200 employees – hiring will begin sometime this year.
“We are excited to announce the location of these first 24 Target stores in Ontario,” said Tony Fisher, Target Canada president. “In addition to providing Canadian guests with an exceptional shopping experience, Target looks forward to continuing our strong reputation of being a good neighbour in the Canadian communities in which we will do business.”
Within the next few months, Target plans to announce further store openings.
Target will open stores in the following areas in March and/or April 2013:
- London Westmount, Westmount Shopping Centre
- Kawartha Lakes, Lindsay Square Mall
- Newmarket, Upper Canada Mall
- Milton, Milton Mall Shopping Centre
- Cambridge, Cambridge Centre
- Toronto, Centrepoint Mall
- Mississauga, Square One Shopping Centre
- Ajax, Durham Centre
- Orillia, Orillia Square Mall
- Brampton, Shoppers World Brampton
- London, Masonville Place
- Windsor, Devonshire Mall
- Toronto, Cloverdale Mall
- Toronto, Shoppers World Danforth
- Burlington, Burlington Mall
- Toronto, East York Town Centre
- Aurora, Aurora Shopping Centre
- Fergus, Gates of Fergus
- Hamilton, Centre Mall
- Guelph, Stone Road Mall
- Burlington, Millcroft Centre
- Waterdown, Flamborough Power Centre
- Whitby, Taunton Road Power Centre
- Brampton, Trinity Common