Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter
Connect your Digital Journal account with Facebook or Twitter to use this feature.
Connect
Log In Sign Up
Comments   Listen   Print   article:316476:6::0
In the Media

article imageNATO rejects criticism over Libya action

Following Ban Ki-moon's strong defence of NATO action in Libya last week, NATO has now spoken out in its own defence, insisting its intervention saved civilian lives.
NATO has responded to criticism over its actions in Libya, following demands by Russia’s UN envoy Vitaly Churkin that claims of civilian deaths caused by NATO air-strikes should be examined. NATO immediately defended its actions on Tuesday, stating it fulfilled its remit to save lives.
En.rian reported that NATO Spokesperson Oana Lungescu said "We took every precaution to minimize the risk to civilians with solid intelligence, a very strict target selection and precision-guided munitions. And we repeatedly warned civilians to stay away from military installations and equipment.”
She added “Our mission for Libya saved countless lives and we have regularly informed the United Nations on its conduct in full compliance with UNSCR 1973.”
Just one week ago U.N. General Secretary Bin Ki-Moon also sprung to the defence of NATO concerning the Libya mission. This followed repeated accusations by the BRICS nations that NATO had overstepped its remit of protecting civilians through a no fly zone and openly took sides in a civil war, assisting the rebels to overthrow the existing sovereign regime of Col. Muammar Gaddafi. Ban insisted that regime change was achieved through the efforts of the Libyan people rather than the intervention of NATO.
According to Reuters Ban said "Security Council resolution 1973, I believe, was strictly enforced within the limit, within the mandate," Ban told reporters in New York. "This military operation done by the NATO forces was strictly within (resolution) 1973."
Lungescu claims it is up to the new Libyan authorities to investigate any claims of civilian casualties during the civil war. However, the authorities have expressed their disinterest in war crimes unless allegedly committed by Gaddafi loyalists, by continuing to ignore the atrocities that are still being committed by former NATO-backed rebels. Notably there is no NATO intervention to prevent the ongoing murder and torture of civilians in post-war Libya.
article:316476:6::0
More about Libya, Nato, NAto libya, Gaddafi, Oana Lungescu
More news from
Latest News
Top News
Engage

Corporate

Help & Support

News Links

copyright © 2014 digitaljournal.com   |   powered by dell servers