An early morning fire erupted and damaged part of a church in Orange County. The total damage is estimated at around $1.5 million. No injuries were reported.
The fire ripped through Our Lady of Guadalupe Church at around 1:30 am, which was undergoing a renovation project.
Father Alfredo de Dios, who lives in a rectory near the church, was awakened by alarms and sirens. He told CBS Los Angeles:
“I woke up because of the noise outside, so I went out. I saw the fire and trucks and flames in the church. … At first I thought it was a nightmare when I saw the fire. I thought maybe it’s not real.”
It took firefighters just over an hour to get the blaze under control.
The Los Angeles Times states that the fire has been ruled accidental and may have been caused by an electrical shortage.
A Sunday gathering for the annual celebration of Our Lady of Guadalupe was expected to be held in a newer portion of the church that was not damaged. A firewall helped protect this particular section from the fire.