Occupy Toronto activists had already marched toward city hall to protest their impending eviction when they received another notice – this time from the Ontario Superior Court of Justice – that said they didn’t have to leave just yet.
Any remaining ‘Occupy Toronto’ protesters were set for a showdown with Toronto police Tuesday night after receiving an eviction notice from authorities to vacate St. James Park by early Wednesday morning.
Digital Journal reported on the eviction notice given to protesters earlier today.
Following the eviction notice that was given to those in the park Tuesday morning, protesters planned a march to Toronto’s City Hall around 4:30PM on Tuesday.
Leaving St. James Park, signs and megaphones in hand, the occupiers made their way down Bay Street towards Old City Hall. After crossing Queen Street, the group of about one hundred people made their way into Nathan Phillips Square.
Their intention was to pass out petitions and acquire as many signatures as possible to demonstrate the legality of their protest to Mayor Rob Ford.
There was a noticeable police presence during the march, however the maximum amount of officers, all on bikes, never exceeded fifteen.
The police helicopter made it’s first appearance around 5PM.
But, according to CBC, protesters received a court injunction when "Judge David Brown granted a temporary stay of the city's eviction notice to protesters occupying St. James Park."
According to the report,
"Brown said he needs more information before he can rule on the city's plan to remove protesters from the park. The judge will hold a hearing on Friday to further discuss the matter and deliver his verdict by 6 P.M. ET on Saturday."
The events in Toronto this evening follow significant police activity against many 'occupy' sites all across the United States and Canada today. Calgary, Vancouver, Halifax, and most notably, New York City itself have all been subject to eviction notices and forceable removal by authorities throughout the day.