Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter
Connect your Digital Journal account with Facebook or Twitter to use this feature.

article imageFreak snowstorm highlights dangers of using portable generators

article:313774:0::0
By KJ Mullins     Nov 2, 2011 in Lifestyle
The winter weather that those in the Northeast of the United States experienced this weekend resulted in several power outages.
In Connecticut and Massachusetts there were near tragedies when people used portable generators inside their homes to deal with the loss of their electricity.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is warning people about the risks of using portable generators inside their homes. From 2005 to 2007 at least 79 people have died from carbon monoxide poisoning when this type of power source has been used improperly.
If you are using portable generators make sure that your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms have batteries and are working.
If you feel sick, dizzy or weak all of a sudden get to fresh air quickly. The CO from generators can lead to full incapacitation and death.
Connecting a generator directly to your home's electrical system through a receptacle outlet not only is dangerous for the homeowner, it puts utility workers and your neighbours using the same transporter in jeopardy.
Use outdoor-rated extension cords and plug cords for your generator. All plugs must have all three plugs, including a grounding pin.
Charcoal grills are not for indoor use. Charcoal burnt in an enclosed space produces lethal levels of carbon monoxide.
For more information, go to http://www.cpsc.gov/info/co/.
article:313774:0::0
More about portable generators, Power outages, Carbon monoxide poisoning
More news from
Latest News
Top News
Engage

Corporate

Help & Support

News Links

copyright © 2014 digitaljournal.com   |   powered by dell servers