Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageOp-Ed: Occupy movement under intense attack by GOP right wing propaganda

By Nancy Houser     Oct 30, 2011 in Politics
Right wing propaganda in the United States could be best described as an official GOP and conservative government communication, carefully selected and designed for its political effects on a naive public---which include Occupy movement supporters.
Across the United States and throughout the world, the nonexistence balance between poverty and conservative propaganda schemes is seen through a dramatic increase in Occupy movements, individuals who have chosen to represent the 99% of the world’s common people who are struggling to survive, while the remaining 1% keep getting richer.
Prevalent in main stream media is the increasing amount of violence and police arrests toward the Occupy protesters. Don McNay of Huffington Post says, “I am sure the Occupy Wall Street supporters have to have days of discouragement, especially on days when they are being gassed, arrested and watching their colleagues be carted off to hospitals.”
Occupy San Diego
2011 San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders.
2011 San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders.
Wikipedia / Philkon Phil Konstantin
One such example of violent attacks on protesters can be seen with San Diego's Republican Mayor Gerald Robert “Jerry” Sanders, a GOP and former Chief of Police whose city was responsible for the vicious attacks on the Occupy San Diego movement.
Wikipedia reports that,
“He was commander of the San Diego SWAT team during the 1984 San Ysidro McDonald's massacre, and his management of the tragedy, which resulted in twenty-one deaths, earned him criticism from the city's Mexican-American community. As a result, the newspaper La Prensa San Diego called Sanders "unfit to be mayor."
According to Nation of Change, history shows that “crackdowns on Occupy movement by mayors and police forces around the country means only one thing: its getting somewhere. The powers that be---and the mayors who represent them---want this movement to go away.”
Some of the cities are more than willing to use violence, arrests and imprisonment on the protesters--citing unsanitary reasons, violence, drug usage as excuses to remove them from their encampments by force. However, interviews from Occupy San Diego protesters repeatedly say that the tougher the police clampdowns will become across the nation, the more it will fuel the Occupy movements.
The International Committee of the Fourth International (ICFI) reported one protester as saying, “This movement won’t stop. It is organic and has roots in the injustice and inequalities in society.”
The propaganda theory
Noam Chomsky  2004
Noam Chomsky, 2004
Flickr/Aryan Blaauw
The propaganda model of mass media by Noam Chomsky and Edward Herman alleged that the media consists of systemic biases---used by liberals and conservatives alike. The two authors theorized their propaganda model based on the characterization of the United States media, but felt that it could be equally applicable to any country that used an equal economic structure.
Three developments of political importance were thought to characterize the propaganda theory: (1) the growth of democracy; (2) the growth of corporate power; and (3) the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
The purpose of the propaganda theory was to better understand how the public mind can become so easily influenced by propaganda through the manufacturing of economic, social and political polices.
Propaganda is used to create powerful forces against democracy, created through a conflict of interest in purposeful structuring of the news: media ownership, media funding, government sourcing, anti-communistic ideology, Flak (negative responses to a media statement or program), and advertising.
Both Chomsky and Herman thought the first three forces were the most important, firmly embedding a dominant media deeply into the market system as profit-seeking businesses that are owned by very wealthy people.
“It is a model of media behavior and performance, not media effects. We explicitly pointed to alternative media, grass roots information sources, and public skepticism about media veracity as important limits on media effectiveness in propaganda service, and we urged the support and more effective use of these alternatives.” (The Propaganda Model)
According to Chomsky, “its long been understood…hundreds of years…that unless people are controlled, they are going to challenge power. They will not simply, willingly, accept subordination, domination, hunger…and so on. Nobody’s going to accept that if they have choices.”
This opinion article was written by an independent writer. The opinions and views expressed herein are those of the author and are not necessarily intended to reflect those of
More about occupy, Movement, Under, intense attack, Gop
Latest News
Top News