Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageDetermined seal overcomes barrier to reach new friend

By Lynn Curwin     Jul 28, 2011 in World
Laurel, a seal at St Andrew's Aquarium, who had been lonely since her partner was washed out to sea during a storm last year, decided it was time to meet the new arrival in the next pool and she managed to get over a four-foot fence to do so.
Last week a one-year-old seal called Togo was brought from Denmark to Scotland to be Laurel's new companion, but the new arrival was being given a few days to adjust before being introduced. On Friday Laurel decided she had waited long enough and shortly after the aquarium closed she began making attempts to scale the metal fence separating them.
"We couldn't believe it when we came in on Saturday morning to find Laurel and Togo swimming around together," John Mace, manager of the aquarium, said in a press release. "There was evidence that the fencing was slightly damaged, but when we watched back the security camera footage we just couldn't believe what we were seeing.
“Laurel was clearly determined to get in to see Togo and obviously wasn't going to let metal security fencing stand in her way! You could say we have been 'flipping' amazed by both her strength and her tenacity!"
In the CCTV footage the 20-year-old harbour seal can be seen making a few unsuccessful attempts at getting over the fence before she makes it.
The two seals have been playing happily together since then.
Laurel was rescued and came to the aquarium in 1991.
“Laurel and Hardy were very good friends. They came to us as pups and had been together a long time. Together they were one of our main attractions," Mace told Deadline News.
“The storm which took Hardy was a freak, to say the least. It damaged a lot of St Andrews and even the sand dunes took a hammering.
“We were watching Laurel and Hardy in their pool but couldn’t go out to them because of the danger from debris – bits of wood the size of cars were flying through the air.
“The waves were coming again and again over the the aquarium wall and engulfing the seals’ pool.
“We knew almost immediately that Hardy was gone.”
They searched for him later but had no luck.
In June, The Courier reported that Laurel was presented with one of the UK's largest saltwater seal pools.
The paper reported on Togo's journey this month, quoting an aquarium spokeswoman as saying: "When he got off the plane, he was in good spirits, waving his flippers and charming the cargo staff."
Several photos of his journey can be seen on Juliebee's website.
Just before Togo arrived an aquarium staff member tweeted a message saying: "LAUREL: I'm going to play with TOGO soon! Splish. Splash!" They just didn't know it would be a bit sooner than they had planned.
The aquarium has now set up an account for Togo on Twitter.
More about Seal, laurel, st andrews aquarium, Aquarium
More news from
Latest News
Top News