Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageNews Of The World phone hacking informant found dead in home

By Samantha Emann     Jul 18, 2011 in Crime
A Guardian report states that the reporter, Sean Hoare, who came forward about the alleged phone hacking going on at News of the World, was found dead in his home today.
Although they would not officially release his name, according to the report police said in a statement that they were called to his address, found his body and he was pronounced dead at the scene following police and ambulance arrival.
The Hertfordshire police were also quoted in the article saying:
"The death is currently being treated as unexplained but not thought to be suspicious. Police investigations into this incident are ongoing."
Hoare, in his forties, made claims in an NY Times article that Andy Coulson had asked him and others to hack into phones for stories for News of The World.
Hoare said in the article that while at The Sun with his former friend and colleague he had played recordings of hacked phone messages and that when discussing phone hacking while working at News of The World Coulson "actively encouraged him to do it."
According to the BBC Coulson denies all claims. He was arrested and questioned on July 8th.
Also according to this article Hoare had been questioned by police under caution but was not arrested.
The Guardian article states that when told about Coulson's denial Hoare called it, " a lie, simply a lie."
Hoare also told The NY Times that he was fired while struggling with a problem with drugs and alcohol.
More about News of the world, phone hacking, Rupert Murdoch, news of the world scandal