Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageNews Of The World to close amid phone hacking scandal

By Kev Hedges     Jul 7, 2011 in Business
The UK's biggest selling Sunday newspaper, News Of The World, is to print its final edition this weekend, according to owner and chairman of News International James Murdoch.
The tabloid paper has been central to a phone hacking scandal which on Monday saw allegations surface that murdered schoolgirl, Milly Dowler's phone had been hacked. This prompted Downing Street and Parliament to announce a public inquiry into the scandal.
Several key advertisers had also withdrawn their involvement in the Sunday red-top, particularly after phone hacking allegations begun to surface over the relatives of Soldiers killed in action in Afghanistan and relatives of victims from the July 7 bombing in London.
The paper's 168-year-old history will come to an end this Sunday and the edition will carry no advertisements. Mr Murdoch also said proceeds from the last edition would go to charity and good causes. There are suggestions that its sister paper, The Sun may become a seven-day-a-week operation. But News International would not speculate on this. The 200-plus employees who work at the News Of The World will now be invited to apply for other roles within the organisation.
In James Murdoch's statement he said there were important things to be said and "the steps we are taking to address the very serious problems that have occurred."
Reaction to the shock announcement of the closure has been swift with opposition leader, Ed Miliband saying, "What I'm interested in is not closing newspapers - I'm interested in those responsible being brought to justice." Alastair Campbell, Tony Blair's former communications director said it was a "shocking move" and bad management had been responsible.
More about News of the world, hacking scandal, phone tapping
More news from
Latest News
Top News