Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageMarquardt indefinitely suspended after failing medicals

By Andrew Ardizzi     Jun 26, 2011 in Sports
Pittsburgh - Former UFC middleweight contender Nate Marquardt has been indefinitely suspended by the Pennsylvania Athletic Commission (PAC) for failing to pass to his pre-fight medical exam despite a six-week notice.
PAC executive director Greg Sirb told media at a press conference - held late-evening June 26 - that both Marquardt and the UFC were notified six weeks ago that the fighter did not meet the necessary medical requirements to gain clearance. The commission gave Marquardt until before the weigh-ins for UFC Live 4 on June 25 to resolve the medical situation but was unable to, MMA Weekly reported.
“Nate has known for probably about a month and a half. He knew the situation. It was no surprise. Everybody (including the UFC) knew. Everybody’s known. I think everybody assumed he was going to be able to qualify,” Sirb said. "I thought he would qualify, I really did."
Due to medical privacy rules within the state of Pennsylvania, no further information was disclosed regarding the nature of why the fighter was not granted clearance to fight.
“We’ve known about it and we gave him every opportunity. The last report we got was three o’clock (Saturday). We gave him as much leeway as we could. Obviously we’ve got a live event, you’ve got to make the call. The UFC made the call when we said no he’s not going to meet it,” Sirb said in a MMA Weekly report.
TSN reported on June 25 that Marquardt had been dropped from his scheduled bout with Rick Story, later updating the report once UFC president Dana White posted a video on Twitter, stating the fighter had been cut from the UFC entirely.
Despite his suspension, how long Marquardt stays out of action is his call.
"He didn't meet the requirements, the medicals anyway, he's going to be put on suspension, when he meets those requirements, he'll be taken off. How long the suspension is, is up to him," Sirb said in a MMA Junkie report.
Sirb displayed remorse for the decision, adding he felt badly for Marquardt, who was trying to clear up the issue, will now miss out on a pay day.
No statement has been made from the fighter's camp in light of the commission's announcement, although Marquardt is free to discuss the nature of the medical issue which led to his suspension.
With Marquardt off the card, Charlie Brenneman (13-2) will step in to face Rick Story (13-3) as the co-main event, while the heavyweight showdown between Cheick Kongo (15-6-2) and Pat Barry (6-2) has been upgraded to main event status.
More about UFC, nate Marquardt, Rick Story, Mixed martial arts
More news from
Sports Video
Latest News
Top News