Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageLevi Bellfield murder trial continues

By Alexander Baron     May 24, 2011 in Crime
London - A report on the ongoing trial of Levi Bellfield at the Central Criminal Court on kidnapping and murder charges dating to March 2002.
The trial of Levi Bellfield continued in Court 8 at London's Central Criminal Court today as the jury heard from a former landlord of the convicted murderer, and also from a letting agent.
Last year, Bellfield was charged with the attempted kidnapping of eleven year old Rachel Cowles and the kidnap and murder of thirteen year old Amanda (Milly) Dowler. This followed careful consideration of a dossier submitted to the Crown Prosecution Service by Surrey Police. Bellfield, who is already serving a life sentence for the murders of two young women and the attempted murder of a third, has been told he will never be freed, but there is considered to be a genuine public interest in this prosecution. Surrey schoolgirl Amanda Dowler disappeared on her way home from school on March 21, 2002. What was initially as a missing person inquiry turned to murder when her skeletal remains were found six months in woodland some twenty-five miles away.
In February 2008, Bellfield was convicted of fatal hammer attacks on students Marsha McDonnell and Amelie Delagrange. Although these murders and the near fatal attack on Kate Sheedy took place in South West London, Surrey Police who had already been viewing him as a potential suspect, intensified their investigations.
Today, the jury heard from Stephen Cooper, the landlord of a premises at Collingwood Place, Walton-on-Thames, which Bellfield had once rented. At one time, Bellfield had been living there with his then partner Emma Mills and their two children, although another witness, letting agent Carmen Lippold, said she thought the couple had separated.
Both witnesses said the apartment had been left in an extremely dirty condition, and Mr Cooper said he had spent more than nine hundred pounds on cleaning the carpets, dealing with mould, and redecorating. Carmen Lippold said that after trying unsuccessfully to contact Miss Mills, she entered the apartment on March 28, 2002, at which point it had obviously been unoccupied for sometime. Milly Dowler disappeared on March 21, and Bellfield, who still had a key, is said to have murdered her there and then dumped her body in woods near Yateley, although by the time the police made the connection, the apartment had been cleaned thoroughly and re-let.
The trial continues.
More about Levi Bellfield, Amanda Jane Dowler, Rachel Cowles, Surrey Police
More news from
Latest News
Top News