Concerns are being rooted from an attack on Sony's servers last month by unknown hackers. More than 100 million users personal information like credit card data was stolen.
In a statement about its company's relaunch Sony said
,"The company has made considerable enhancements to the data security, including updating and adding advanced security technologies; additional software monitoring and penetration and vulnerability testing; and increased levels of encryption and additional firewalls. The company also added a variety of other measures to the network infrastructure, including an early-warning system for unusual activity patterns that could signal an attempt to compromise the network."
Although Sony has made efforts to show their issues are resolved, Japan is not convinced. They are not allowed to relaunch its services in Japan until they prove the additional security measures have been made. Kazushige Nobutani, director of the Media and Content Industry Department at the Ministry of Economy said
in a recent interview with Dow Jones Newswires that he wants two things from Sony until they are able to relaunch its services in their country.
He first wants to make sure that this problem will not reoccur. On May 13 when Nobuntani met with Sony he said they hadn't met the the "measures" they said they would in a press conference on May 1, which lead to Nobuntani's hesitance to allow the relaunch in Japan.
Nobuntani's second concern is Sony's ability to regain the trust of its customers. He wants to make sure that user's confidence in the company can be rebuilt, seeing that people's important personal data was stolen which could lead to a majority of them to never have faith in Sony again.
"There were similar cases in the past that were caused by other firms and we are asking Sony whether their measures are good enough when compared to countermeasures taken in the past," Nobuntani also said