Once again, Sony is warning more gamers their personal information may have been stolen by the same thieves who first breached the PlayStation Network, the company said Monday. Close to 24.6 million Sony Online Entertainment users may have been affected.
Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) is the company's gaming division, home to video games such as EverQuest, Free Realms and DC Universe Online. Visitors to the homepages of these online games are met with a notification from SOE, stating, "Customers outside the United States should be advised that we further discovered evidence that information from an outdated database from 2007 containing approximately 12,700 non-US customer credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes)... may have also been obtained."
The most recent intrusion occurred April 16 and 17. While SOE was hit those days, the Sony PlayStation Network was hacked on April 20, prompting Sony to shut down the online network and recently issues profuse apologies. More than 70 million accounts were at risk of the PSN attack. Sony believes the same perpetrators are hacking both networks.
Now, Sony is once again apologizing for an online intrusion still under investigation. The SOE platform has been temporarily shut down and Sony also stated: "There is no evidence that our main credit card database was compromised."
So far, the SOE and PSN are both down, although Sony promised service would soon resume to PSN.
Members of US Congress are demanding the presence of Sony execs to answer questions by the committee on energy and commerce. Sony didn't appear to defend itself on Monday but said it is promising to fulfill any requests for more information, the Wall Street Journal reports.