Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article image55,000 at UFC 129 in Toronto as GSP wins match Special

By Daniel Boyington     May 1, 2011 in Sports
Toronto - A huge crowd at Toronto's Rogers Centre was not disappointed at the first ever UFC match in Ontario. The main bout between Georges St. Pierre (GSP) and Jake Shields, however, was a bit of a letdown. Shields was on the defense the whole match.
Canadian and Toronto-area fighters won most matches with the approval of the hometown crowd . Mark Hominick goes home to Thamesford, Ontario with a large goose egg (lemon size) on his forehead, from Jose Aldo from Brazil in the five round Featherweight bout.
After inspection by a doctor in the second round they allowed him back into the octagon (to everyone's surprise) where the tables turned. Hominick didn't win the bout, but came on strong in the third round to the crowds pleasure as he pummeled Jose Aldo from, Manaus, Brazil who won the bout, with the loudest roar from the fans all night.
Mark Hominick with his injury to his right forehead  lost his match  but was a hero to the crowd.
Mark Hominick with his injury to his right forehead, lost his match, but was a hero to the crowd.
In the Lyoto Machida, Light Heavyweight bout from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil against Randy Couture, 47, a 14 year veteran of various crowns in the MMA and career ending bout, loved by all in attendance, Couture didn't win, but even his competitor Machida complimented him after the match saying, "He's a hero," to the roars and standing ovation of the dedicated MMA fans. He lost the three round bout, 20 seconds into the first round with a knockout kick to the head by Machida.
The Welterweight Title headliner with Georges St. Pierre from Montreal and Jake Shields from San Fransisco, CA, was five rounds, and the crowd appeared restless as there was very little intense action and even started booing in the final minutes of the fifth round. GSP used his big roundhouse swing which rarely connected, and GSP was declared winner after being checked out by the doctor. GSP was bleeding during the fifth round with a cut to his nose, but he never stopped to the end.
View of the Rogers Centre with just under 20 huge screens throughout the stadium.
View of the Rogers Centre with just under 20 huge screens throughout the stadium.
The commercials on the big screens about half way through the night were not a big hit with the fans, but they endured, while they were prompted to buy beer and other goodies. With the heavy support and enthusiasm last night there's no doubt they could have a sell out every month in Toronto. The show was available on PPV also, but figures were not available at press time.
The whole event went from 8pm to about midnight and there were mixed reviews as the crowd exited the stadium. "That was terrible, I was disappointed by St. Pierre," said Jason from Thornhill.
"I thought all the bouts went very well and I thought the Canadians beat the Americans quite well, and I thought the St. Pierre and Jake Shields bout could have gone either way," said Chris from Pickering.
More about UFC 129, Mma, Toronto, Rogers centre, Georges St Pierre
More news from
Sports Video
Latest News
Top News