Two people have been injured following a shooting aboard the nuclear submarine, HMS Astute. The submarine is currently docked at Southampton in southern England.
The Hampshire Police force have said there is no danger to the public and the incident is not terrorist-related. The sub had been at sea for 46 days and is taking a five-day break after docking on Wednesday at the Eastern Docks. Hampshire Police were summoned at 1210GMT (0710EST) at the request of Ministry of Defence officials. A police spokesman said, "It is believed two people have sustained injuries as a result of gun shots being discharged on the vessel," he said.
The nuclear sub is no stranger to controversy. Last October the vessel grounded onto rocks just around three miles from the Isle of Skye road bridge in north-west Scotland. Submariner personnel were said to be trapped on board, as reported in Digital Journal - and the hi-tech stealth sub had to then be rescued by a tugboat. So embarrassing were the gaffes that it cost Commander Andy Coles his command of the 328ft-long, 7,800-tonne submarine, reports Sky News.
A former engineer on board the submarine told news reporters guns were held on board but always under lock and key. Latest reports state that an Able Seaman was responsible for the shooting which are said to have been fired at two officers.