Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageOntario Premier to Toronto Mayor: There's no more money for city

By Andrew Moran     Feb 28, 2011 in Politics
Toronto - After Toronto Mayor Rob Ford made a plea to the province of Ontario for $150 million, Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty rejected the request and said the province doesn't have any more money to give to the city.
During a press conference earlier this month, reporters continually asked Toronto Mayor Rob Ford if he was concerned about the 2012 operating budget. Ford would not directly answer the question and said that he was not worried about 2012 because “we are in 2011.”
CBC News reported last week that some critics of the mayor are warning of deep cuts to various city programs and social services come 2012 because there will be a projected deficit of approximately $774 million.
The Mayor issued a letter to Ontario Finance Minister Dwight Duncan on Jan. 25 for $150 million from March’s provincial budget. The $150 million would go to cover child care, housing, services for immigrants and transit projects, reports the Globe and Mail.
Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty delivering a speech.
Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty delivering a speech.
“With a view to reducing gridlock on Toronto’s streets, provincial funding would help to improve roads, traffic control systems and the operation, capacity and maintenance of the current subway system,” Ford wrote.
However, according to the Toronto Star, Premier Dalton McGuinty flat out rejected the appeal and told reporters Monday: “It’s up to them to chart their own course,” adding that Ontario has been running a $19 billion deficit “And now our responsibility is to look after that deficit.”
McGuinty explained that there are many municipalities in Ontario that are facing fiscal pressures and having difficulties making ends meet. He also noted, reports CTV News, that the province has increased funding for Toronto by 40 percent since 2003 and that “there’s no more money.”
During the campaign trail at debates, Ford said the city had to get its spending habits and budget under control before it requests any funds from other levels of government.
More about Dalton McGuinty, Rob Ford, Ontario, Toronto, Mayor
More news from
Latest News
Top News