Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imagePacquiao vs. Mosley tickets sold out four months before fight

By Leo Reyes     Feb 1, 2011 in Sports
Despite calls for the boycott of the upcoming Manny Pacquiao vs. Shane Mosley fight on May 7, tickets for the fight to be held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena are almost gone, with only around 1,000 left unsold.
Fightnews.com reports that when he heard the news, promoter Bob Arum said, "I have never promoted a fight that has sold so many tickets so quickly. Manny Pacquiao never ceases to amaze the world with his achievements. The excitement he generated today with the initial ticket sales makes it feel like fight week already."
The ticket sale news, which was first reported by Fight.com news, is indeed incredible, as the Pacquiao-Mosley fight is supposed to be announced officially in a little over a week, in a press tour scheduled to be launched in Los Angeles, California.
Pacquiao and Mosley will appear before media in a kickoff ceremony at the Beverly Hills Hotel in Los Angeles, for a promotional tour that will bring them to New York, Washington and San Francisco.
While in Washington, Bob Arum said Pacquiao may have an audience with US president Barack Obama at the White House. Pacquiao, who is also a politician, being an elected congressman in his native Philippines, was also reported to be presented in the US Senate as a guest, Arum added.
Right after the Pacquiao-Mosley fight was announced last month, many boxing fans and supporters as well have called for a boycott of the fight, saying Mosley isn't the right choice as Pacquiao's next opponent, citing his age and his lackluster performance during his last two ring engagements.
They also accused Pacquiao of "cherry-picking" Mosley because of his dismal performance in his recent fights and claimed Mosley, who is hitting 40, is too old to match Pacquiao's speed and power.
Dan Rafael of ESPN said Arum only wants to do what is best for him, certainly not for boxing, Inquirer.net reports.
Rafael described Mosley as an “aging fighter” who does not have “a great chance to win” against Pacquiao. He called the fight “a disservice to real boxing fans who actually care about match-ups and not just a famous but faded name.”
“I am disgusted and I will boycott this and I hope others follow suit! Fans need to stand up and tell Arum and Pacquiao we will not stand for this!”
Other than Rafael, some members of print and broadcast media have likewise called for the boycott.
The news of a nearly sold out tickets days before the promotional launching for the upcoming Pacquiao-Mosley fight shows the call for the boycott of the May 7 boxing event is not being received favorably by a majority of boxing patrons and fans.
Meanwhile, both Mosley and Pacquiao camps are now preparing for their high-altitude training for the May 7 fight. Pacquiao is scheduled to train in the mountain city of Baguio in northern Philippines, while Mosley is set to start training at the Big Bear mountain in California where he owns a vacation house.
More about Boxing, Pacquiao, Mosley, Arum, Roach
More news from
Sports Video
Latest News
Top News