Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageChanges halted to Canadian seniors' income support

By Carol Fontaine     Nov 26, 2010 in Lifestyle
Ottawa - The Federal government withdraws changes to a plan that would cut a portion of income support for Canadian seniors announced Diane Finley, Minister of Human Resources in Parliament on Friday.
CBC reports that Diane Finley, Minister of Human Resources, upon being pressed by opposition members in the House of Commons, said the government would back away from this plan until further investigation.
The Globe and Mail had reported that the rules were altered without notice and would "change the way lump-sum withdrawals from Registered Retirement Income Funds, affect income supplement payments.
"Low-income seniors across the country will be affected if they withdraw more than the minimum allowed from their RRIF." reported the Globe.
Finley told the House she had great concerns with what had been reported. She also said the government has done more to support seniors than any previous government and that's why "we're taking steps immediately to put this policy on hold. We want to make sure that we are treating seniors fairly.
"That's why I've instructed departmental officials to immediately put a hold on this policy while we review it completely," said Finley. "I've also instructed the officials to contact those individuals affected directly so that their applications can be reviewed and evaluated for eligibility under the old policy."
Liberal MP Gerry Byrne said a review did not mean a sure reversal.
"No notice, no consultation, no information and no compassion," Byrne said.
More about Senior, Income, Changes support
More news from
Latest News
Top News