Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageDog trying to grab a snack swallows metal skewer

By Lynn Curwin     Nov 26, 2010 in World
Roseville - An Australian family thought their dog had only swallowed a bite of meat when he took something from the edge of their barbecue, but they later found out the spaniel had also swallowed a 15 centimetre metal skewer.
About three weeks later the Swords took Patch, a 13-year-old King Charles spaniel, to the vet because he was ill.
“They did some blood tests and he went on antibiotics for a problem with his liver,” Rosemary Swords told the North Shore Times.
“When the problem didn’t go away the vet did an X-Ray.”
It was then that they discovered one of the skewers from their kitchen had been swallowed.
It had been swallowed blunt end first, and pierced the dog’s oesophagus, ribcage and shoulder.
Surgery was done to remove the item and Patch ended up with 80 stitches.
“The family thought that he only ate a small amount of meat,” said Dr Joe Daley, of The Ark Veterinary Hospital. “Then he developed a swelling on the side of his chest and went off his food.
“When they brought him in, he was yelping at being handled and didn’t like to be moved.
“They thought he might have twisted his back.”
Patch spent four days in hospital and had his stitches removed this week.
Rosemary Swords has thrown away the skewer.
More about Pets, Barbecue, Skewer, Metal, Patch
More news from
Latest News
Top News