Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageUK Parliament told to prepare for Mumbai-style attacks

By Jane Fazackarley     Nov 17, 2010 in World
Members of Parliament are being told to prepare themselves for Mumbai-style attacks although security officials stress that the threat level to the UK remains unchanged.
According to the Daily Mail, Politicians and staff working at the Houses of Parliament are being advised to leave the building in the event of an attack rather than blocking themselves inside.
The plans are reported to have been put together by the Metropolitan Police and details were sent to staff via email. According to the Daily Mail the email reads:
"The latest police advice is that an effective contingency plan should concentrate on evacuating members, staff and visitors out of the estate and away from danger as quickly as possible."
"Locating, containing and neutralising the threat will be a role for armed police officers."
The Mumbai attacks occurred in 2008. The attacks focused on two hotels, a bar and a Jewish prayer centre. The seize lasted 60-hours and resulted in 166 people dead, The Times report, other reports put the the death toll at over 170. Over 300 people were injured.
A spokesman for the House of Commons told the Daily Mail the plans do "not relate to a specific threat."
In September the Guardian report that a Mubai-style attack had been prevented in the UK, France and Germany. And in October CTV news reported that British police were being trained by members of the military for the event of a Mumbai-style attack.
More about Parliament, Mumbai, Terrorist attacks
More news from
Latest News
Top News