Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageMother guilty of killing 3-year-old girl

By Lynn Curwin     Oct 28, 2010 in Crime
Birmingham - A 25-year-old asylum-seeker in the UK has ordered to remain in a secure psychiatric hospital after being found guilty of stabbing her three-year-old daughter to death, and then pouring acid over her.
Iman Omar Yousef, who is from Somalia, has paranoid schizophrenia and was declared unfit to stand trial. The case was heard in her absence and the jury determined that she was guilty of unlawfully killing her child.
The body of Alia Ahmed Jama was found at a house in Erdington, Birmingham on 13 February. Police broke into Yousef’s flat after her mother expressed concerns.
The toddler had been stabbed repeatedly and her skin, bones and internal organs had been corroded by acid. The body had partially covered with black and green bin liners.
James Burbidge QC, for the prosecution, was quoted by The Guardian as saying “her body was in a state of decomposition in that the skin had melted away exposing bone. The officers could smell what seemed like acid."
He said there were "dozens" of stab wounds.
The jury was told that Yousef's mother and aunt were concerned about her mental health soon after she arrived in the UK in 2007.
They said she talked to herself and was confused and irrational. Her mother had taken large knives from her twice.
The Guardian reported that a housing officer referred the case to social services and a visit was made to the home on 12 February.
During the same day, Yousef took her daughter for a medical check-up and made six 999 calls to report that people from Leicester were “after her.”
Two officers visited the address and found no evidence that anyone had been bothering her. The three-year-old was healthy and happy at that time.
Yousef later went to a police station with her daughter and demanded to be moved to a hostel. She was given security advice and sent back home.
The next day Yousef’s mother was concerned when the woman turned up in Leicester without the child.
Sky News reported that, in sentencing, Justice Flaux said: "On the night of the February 12, 2010, she killed her three-year-old daughter Alia in a frenzied attack with a knife or similar sharp weapon and then poured a corrosive agent, never positively identified, but possibly sulphuric acid, over the body after the child was dead, possibly in an effort to dispose of the body.”
More about Mother, Three, Girl, Acid, Killing
More news from
Latest News
Top News