Three beaches in Santa Barbara are still closed after a shark attack on Friday which left a student dead. There have been 12 fatal shark attacks in California since 1950.
The bodyboarder has been named as Lucas Ransom on a blog from the LA Times. According to the blog, the Wall, Minuteman and Surf beaches will remain closed until Monday and there is a possibility that they will stay shut for longer.
The shark attack happened on Surf beach when the 19-year old student and a friend were reported to be 100 yards offshore. Ransom was confirmed dead at the scene after suffering leg injuries.
Sergeant Jason Grossini of the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office said in a statement on the Vanderberg Air force Base website:
"The victim was boogie-boarding when his friend saw him go underwater for a brief moment."
"When he came up, his friend knew there was something wrong."
"The friend assisted him (Lucas) to the beach where the other witnesses attempted to assist the victim before fire personnel arrived on the scene."
"According to witnesses, the shark measured between 14 and 18 feet in length."
Officials are said to be still working to identify the type of shark. According to the Telegraph, experts are looking at bite marks in the bodyboard to confirm if it was a great white shark that killed the student.
Warnings had been issued earlier this year after there had been sightings of great white sharks along the California coast, according to the Sun Times.
Lucas Ransom was a student at UC Santa Barbara and was from Romoland in Riverside County.
According to an article on the Inside Bay Area website, there has been close to 100 shark attacks in California since the 1920's.