A young man in the prime of his life died of acute alcohol poisoning when a drinking prank involving a pint of vodka went badly wrong.
Richard Davies, 29, of Lincoln Place, Thornaby, UK, drank the pint of vodka in just "four seconds" whilst drinking with friends on January 16 this year.
An inquest at Teesside Coroners Court heard that Mr Davies managed to drink the pint of vodka despite the efforts of a friend to take it off him.
Davies' friend Chris Crookes told the inquest “I tried to take the glass off him but he pushed me away.” (Evening Gazette)
Mr Crooks took Davies to his stepfather's house and put him to bed in the recovery position.
In a statement read to the inquest, the stepfather, John Brocklesby said he kept on checking on Davies throughout the day and could hear him snoring.
He said: “At 4.30pm I went downstairs and as I went back up I did not hear him snoring. He looked pale so I rang Chris straight away." (Evening Gazette)
The inquest heard that Mr Crooks, who is a trained first aider, gave Davies CPR but he was later pronounced dead.
According to the BBC Teesside Coroner Tony Eastwood said the alcohol in his body killed him.
The inquest heard that Davies, an electrician's mate was five-and-a half times the drink drive limit and also had traces of mephedrone in his body.
It was, however, according to Mr Eastwood the alcohol that killed him and not the mephedrone.
Mr Davies’ sister Clare, 32, said: “When we were told what had happened we were all just so shocked. We couldn’t believe it - we still can’t.
“Richard was not an alcoholic and just liked going out on a weekend - like most young lads. So many people do what he does and more young people need to be aware of the dangers, especially children who drink on the street." (Evening Gazette)
Deputy Teesside Coroner Anthony Eastwood recorded a verdict of misadventure.