Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageRetired fire chief burns his own kitchen

By Lynn Curwin     Aug 12, 2010 in Lifestyle
Helston - A retired fire chief was embarrassed after he destroyed his own kitchen through breaking safety rules, and had to call his former workmates to extinguish the flames.
Ronnie Williams, 56, was a member of the fire service for 32 years but this week he committed mistakes he has warned others against.
He left chips unattended in a hot pan, which started the fire. The blaze spread because he had broken another rule and had not put fresh batteries in his smoke detector.
It was only when his Great Dane, Hamlet, began barking that he realized something was wrong and discovered the fire.
He then called 999 and two fire crews from Helston, Cornwall –where he had been chief for 19 years – came to put out the fire.
SWNS quoted Williams as saying: “It was my own stupidity. I was trying to do five jobs at once and I broke every rule in the fire safety book.
“These included leaving chips cooking in an ordinary pan rather than a thermostatically controlled one and not regularly checking my fire alarms which did not go off.
“I should be setting an example, I know. I have already been teased and facing up to the incident will do me some good.”
The fire caused considerable damage to the kitchen and smoke affected other rooms.
More about Fire, Chief, Kitchen
More news from
Latest News
Top News