Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageMichigan man killed in bear attack at campground near Yellowstone

By Laura Trowbridge     Jul 30, 2010 in Lifestyle
A female grizzly bear and two of her three cubs were captured after suspected of killing a Grand Rapids, Michigan man and injuring two other campers at a campground near Yellowstone National Park in Montana.
As reported on Digital Journal yesterday, the lone man who was killed in the bear attack on Wednesday at Soda Butte Campground was unidentified at the time. He is now known to be 48-year-old Kevin Kammer of Grand Rapids, Michigan.
According to MLive, Kammer was camping alone in a tent when the bear attacked him around 2 a.m. State park investigators found his body 25 feet from his tent about 4:30 a.m.
Canadian Deb Freele was also attacked in her tent at the same campground, but played dead until the bear left her alone.
The other unidentified man reported to be a teenager attacked by the bear, but who escaped with injuries to his legs, is now identified as Ronald Singer, 21, of Alamosa, Colorado.
The deceased's mother-in-law, Phyllis Howard, said Kammer was a father of four chidren, ages 8, 9,15 and 19.
"He was a wonderful father. He took good care of his kids," Howard said.
Kammer liked to fish, camp and kayak, and took a trip to Yellowstone by himself.
"He always wanted to go out there, and he had an opportunity to go," Howard said. "That was always a dream of his to go out there."
Spokesman Tom Palmer said a female grizzly bear and two of her three cubs have been captured, and DNA testing is being done by investigators now.
Ron Aasheim, chief of communications and education for the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks department, said park authorities set a tent up at Site 25, where Krammer had been staying, to try to capture the bear responsible for the three attacks. A baited trap made out of culvert pipe was placed near the tent.
The mother grizzly bear, estimated at 300 to 400 pounds, was caught in the trap later that Wednesday evening. The trap was left in place to lure her three 1-year-old cubs. By Thursday morning, two of the cubs had been caught, but the third remained out-of-reach nearby, calling out to its mother.
"Fish, Wildlife and Parks Warden Capt. Sam Sheppard said he was confident they had captured the killer bear because it came back to the same site where the man was killed early Wednesday."
"She basically targeted the three people and went after them," Sheppard said. "It wasn't like an archery hunter who gets between a sow and her cubs and she responds to protect them."
Aasheim said she will be "taken out of the wild" if the DNA tests come back positive for her being the attacking bear. Her cubs may also be removed because they could have learned to attack humans from watching their mother do so.
"It's learned behavior, no question," Aasheim said. "The ultimate decision about removing the animals will be up to an inter-agency grizzly bear committee," he said.
More about Bear, Attack, Yellowstone, Soda butte, Campground
Latest News
Top News