Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageHundreds of protesters expected to blow bubbles at Toronto rally

By Andrew Moran     Jul 17, 2010 in World
Toronto - Several hundred people will gather for the second week in a row at Queen's Park in Toronto to demand an independent public inquiry. Part of the demonstration will include protesters blowing bubbles.
Digital Journal reported on Friday that a woman was arrested shortly after she began to blow bubbles at two police officers. One of officers threatened to arrest of her if any of the bubbles hit him because it was an act of assault. The officer has been dubbed: Officer Bubbles.
On Saturday, hundreds of protesters, activists and concerned citizens will rally at Queen’s Park in downtown Toronto to demand an independent public investigation into the affairs of police conduct during the weekend of the G20 Summit, which saw riots, violence, vandalism and several demonstrations throughout the city, according to CP24.
“NEITHER THE GOVERNMENT, NOR THE MEDIA, SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO BURY THE ABUSES AGAINST CANADIAN CIVIL LIBERTIES THAT TOOK PLACE DURING THE G20 SUMMIT IN TORONTO. We mustn't forget the blatant violation of our constitutional liberties, including unlawful searches and detentions, abuse, and willful misinformation,” states the Toronto Community Mobilization Network on its website. “During the G20, the police acted in a way that directly contradicts how we believe a lawful society should behave. Many protesters and innocent bystanders were unjustly arrested and detained for up to 36 hours, some without even the right to have access to a lawyer or a phone call.”
Since the fallout of that fateful weekend, numerous detainees have come forward and stated there were many accounts of sexual harassments, unsanitary conditions, deprivation of the basic necessities of food and water and arrestees sleeping on the cold concrete floor.
Tommy Taylor, a detainee, told Digital Journal last week that he had to literally “beg for water,” while Edward Canavan explained that there was nowhere to sit when he was detained for approximately 12 hours.
Last week, thousands of people marched from Queen’s Park to the Metro Toronto Convention Centre where they urged a public inquiry and even staged a sit-in at the corner of Queen Street West and Spadina Avenue where a lot of the confrontations on Jun. 26 and 27 were held.
More about Queens park, G20 summit, Toronto
More news from
Latest News
Top News