Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageCold case: Two best friends killed together

By KJ Mullins     Jun 9, 2010 in Crime
Toronto - They were the best of friends. One day in late April Donna Stearne and Wendy Ann Tedford, both 17, went to the mall to buy a present for Wendy's older sister Shirley. The next day they were found, killed execution style.
Wendy had been dealing with a lot in her life. Her father had died when she was 15 from cancer. A year later her mother was in a serious car accident requiring hospitalization for six months. Wendy lost interest in school according to her older sister Linda and dropped out. She went to live and work with her older sister Shirley at a department store in the main office. By March 1973 Wendy had found her own little basement apartment and was ready to move into it on May 1. She never had the chance.
April 27 was a good day for the two best friends. They had arranged to go shopping at Yorkdale Mall meeting at Wendy's apartment at about 7:30 that evening. They took the TTC to the mall and spent a few hours shopping. Traveling back home the girls stopped at the Sit n' Eat Restaurant to order cokes around 10:45 p.m. From reports the girls were known to go to the burger joint.
No one noticed them leave the diner about 15 minutes later. This is where the case gets confusing. It is possible that the girls caught a city bus for home or accepted a ride. They both had hitchhiked in the past.
On April 27 a 18-year-old boy on his way to school discovered the bodies of two fully clothed girls lying together in a pool of blood. He ran to 949 Wilson Avenue to call police.
Wendy and Donna were both shot in the head with a .38 Colt revolver. Their bodies were just 1.5 km from the diner.
When police canvassed the area neighbours reported hearing several loud bangs around midnight the night of the murders.
Months went by with no clues to who had murdered the girls. Then a small clue came from Windsor, Ontario. A .38 Colt revolver, 6 shot, with a 6" barrel had been recovered and submitted to the O.P.P. It was the murder weapon of Wendy and Donna. The gun had been stolen from a Windsor area home months before the girls' murder. Despite investigations in the Windsor area no information was found concerning the homicides.
At the time of the murders the area where the girls were found was called "The Jungle." It was known to be rough around the edges with a drug element.
Wendy's sister Linda posted on that she thought that Wendy was trying to find a friend that could come to her sister's birthday party that had some marijuana. This goes against what Donna's family said at the time, they claimed that their daughter was not part of the drug scene.
The case remains a mystery. Where did the girls go to after they left the burger joint and how did they travel? Did they know their attacker? Did they stumble upon something that had to remain silent? Someone has the answers but so far they are not coming forth.
Two girls died a violent death in 1973. It's time that their case is solved.
More about Cold Case, Donna stearne wendy ann, Murder
More news from
Latest News
Top News