Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageRussia to conduct own probe of South Korea's warship sinking

By Leo Reyes     May 31, 2010 in Politics
Russia has started its own probe on the sinking of the South Korean warship last March 26 which killed 46 crewmen on board.
A multinational investigating group has concluded after a thorough probe that the torpedo was fired from a North Korean submarine.
The four-member Russian team of experts in submarine and torpedos arrived in Seoul earlier in the day. They will be briefed about the results of the international probe, officials said, and will also inspect the wreckage of the ship, the Cheonan, as well as the site of the sinking during their stay.
"Starting tomorrow, they will be briefed about detailed evidence from the multinational investigation," said a ministry official.
The Russian probe came after South Korea asked the UN Security Council to censure North Korea for for attacking the warship.
Russia, an ally of North Korea, has said it will decide its position on South Korea's plan to refer the North's sinking of the Cheonan to the U.N. Security Council after examining the outcome of the investigation.
The Russian report is expected to be completed in seven days.
Meanwhile a rally in North Korea denouncing the South for having faked the torpedo attack drew more than 100,000 people with some bearing placards denouncing South Korean President Lee Myung-Bak as a traitor.
More about Warship, Torpedo, South Korea, North korea usa united
More news from
Latest News
Top News