Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageRape suspect in coma after victim’s husband retaliates

By Kim I. Hartman     May 26, 2010 in Crime
Issaquah - In what appears to be an example of vigilante justice a man who allegedly raped a woman is now in coma after her husband and his friend took matters into their own hands. When they found him - he was beaten until he was bloody and unable to move.
Issaquah Police Officers responded to a rape report at a residence in the 400 block of Northeast Birch Street at about 2 a.m. Police discovered an unconscious man bleeding from the face and head at the residence.
The 31 year old man had been reported to the police as the suspect in the alleged rape. Medics transported him to Harborview Medical Center for treatment of severe head and facial injuries.
Charges have not been filed against the man accused of rape and will remain pending until he has recovered enough from his injuries to be interviewed by Issaquah police investigators.
Police said the alleged rape suspect and the victim knew each other, and had spent time with the same group of people in the hours before the incident, first at the house and then at a local bar.
The victim left the bar because she felt ill, police said, and returned to the house. Some time later, the rape suspect also left the bar and returned to the house.
Investigators said a friend of the victim received a call from her later. The victim told the friend about the incident. The assault suspects — a 31-year-old Renton man and a 30-year-old Issaquah man — heard about the suspected rape and also headed to the Northeast Birch Street residence. Police said the Renton man is the husband of the rape victim.
The men discovered the rape suspect asleep on a couch at the residence. When he awoke, the police report said, the men assault him with a mallet and a brick.
Police arrested the men and booked them into the King County Jail for first-degree assault.
Defense attorney John Henry Browne had this to say to about his client(s)
"He was informed that his wife had been raped and he ran home to go to her aid. Meanwhile, 911 was called by other people," said defense attorney John Henry Browne.
Browne said the woman’s husband ran into the home and he saw the alleged rapist fighting with one of the husband's friends, so he joined the fight and both men beat the suspect into unconsciousness.
Browne said the woman’s husband was not beating the man in retaliation for the rape.
“Things were happening way too fast. He walked in and there was a fight going on, and he intervened in the fight to help his friend," Browne said.
See related video - Husband of Rape Victim accused in Suspects beating.
They appeared before a judge on Monday and are expected to post bond today.
More about Issaquah, Rapist, Vigilante, Justice, Washington
More news from
Latest News
Top News