Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageMan falls in doggie doo doo and blames Pet Smart

By Betty Kowall     Apr 18, 2010 in Business
Robert Holloway, was 69 in January 2009 when he innocently ventured to the Pet Smart in Newport News, Virginia to get some bird seed and dog food. Before he left he was severely and multiply injured.
Pet Smart is a North American warehouse pet supply store with 1,149 locations in Canada and the U.S. They permit shoppers to bring their pets into the store with them as they shop.
His claim states that Pet Smart "negligently allowed animals to enter the premises and deposit feces in such a manner as to create a dangerous and hazardous condition." Mr. Holloway was inside the store when he stepped in dog feces that his claim asserts blended into the floor and rendered them unseen. He claims he badly injured his back as he twisted and fell, striking his head and knocked out four teeth.
The suit was initially filed in Norfolk Circuit Court, but PetSmart succeeded in getting it moved to U.S. District Court, where a similar suit against the company was dismissed in 2008.
Speaking generally, company spokeswoman Jessica White said employees are trained to clean up messes and customers are encouraged to clean up after their pets. Every store has "oops" stations, clearly marked, with clean-up supplies.
According to the Virginia Pilot,
PetSmart has filed an initial reply stating that the store and its manager that day were not negligent in the accident. Pet accidents are a fact of life in its stores, where leashed pets are welcome visitors, a company spokeswoman said.
More about Lawsuit, Pets, Pet
More news from
Latest News
Top News