Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter
Connect your Digital Journal account with Facebook or Twitter to use this feature.

article imageGloucester girl killed by boiling fat

By Elliot Meszaros     Mar 28, 2010 in Health
Gloucester - An eight-year-old girl has died after boiling fat was tipped on her while she was helping to prepare for a birthday party.
On Friday the young girl, Tiffany Smith, suffered burns to her neck, back, chest, legs and face; burns that covered nearly 40 percent of her body, an inquest was told.
The incident occurred while Tiffany's mother, Paula Smith, went to get fries from the freezer.
"Tiffany and I were making beef burger rolls together." Paula said.
"We had made up a few rolls when I went to get chips out of the freezer."
Despite being told not to touch the deep fat fryer Tiffany was so enthusiastic to help prepare for her brother Ricky's 10th Birthday that she stood on tiptoes to reach it and accidentally tipped it over.
36-year-old Paula, who lives in Gloucester, southwest England, told the hearing: "I heard her screaming, 'Mummy, help me.'
"She was obviously in lots of pain. I started to take her clothes off. They were burning hot."
Paula rushed her daughter into the bath and poured water over her with a saucepan.
Alan Crickmore, the Gloucestershire coroner, said: "From the moment (the incident) occurred her fight for life was a very difficult one and the more likely outcome was that she wouldn't have survived."
In November 2006, after four weeks in Bristol Royal Hospital for children, Tiffany was pronounced dead. Tiffany had developed septicemia and pneumonia, the cause of death was broncho-pneumonia, the inquest was told.
More about Boil, Fat, Birthday, Burn, Hospital
More news from
Latest News
Top News

Corporate

Help & Support

News Links

copyright © 2014 digitaljournal.com   |   powered by dell servers