Detroit officials will be placing placards in three city buildings warning of various scented products to avoid from now on after a 2008 federal lawsuit filed by a city planner was settled last month.
Detroit city planner Susan McBride filed a lawsuit under the Americans with Disabilities Act after complaining about a co-worker's perfume, and claiming that made it hard for her to breathe and to do her job.
Detroit fought the lawsuit saying there was no medical diagnosis of her condition and she was not disabled.
McBride was awarded $100,000 in the federal case agreement on February 12. She will receive the amount within 60 days of that date.
"It's unique. I think it should be used as a model for other people who are having similar problems," said Ann Curry Thompson, McBride's attorney.
The placards will soon be seen in the Cadillac Square Building, Coleman A. Young Municipal Center and First National Building. Employees will be asked to not wear "scented products, including ... colognes, aftershave lotions, perfumes, deodorants, body/face lotions ... (and) the use of scented candles, perfume samples from magazines, spray or solid air fresheners ..."
According to the lawsuit settlement notices will also go into the employee handbook and be part of the ADA training.