Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

Pentagon shooter confirmed dead and identified, a conspiracist?

By Jose Neves     Mar 5, 2010 in Crime
Washington - Agence France-Presse reports that a man who was shot by police after opening fire outside the Pentagon's subway entrance has died of his injuries, according to US media reports.
The Pentagon police said that the gunman who opened fire Thursday on security guards outside of the U.S. Department of Defense building died of his injuries after the security forces responded. The shooting occurred during the busy evening rush-hour outside the subway station at the entrance of the massive building. A temporary security lockdown was issued.
At the press conference Chief Richard Keevill, an official of the agency in charge of protecting the U.S. Department of Defense (Pentagon Force Protection Agency) said to the reporters: There is no indication so far that there is any link to domestic or international terrorism.[…] He was heavily armed, with two 9mm pistols (semiautomatic weapons) and several magazines, . […] He headed straight toward the law enforcement agents and opened fire at the entrance of the building, he said; adding that "a significant number of gunshots" were fired. 
Three security officers, including two who were wounded, responded with gunfire. Slightly injured only, thanks to their bullet-proof vests, they could leave the hospital.
As he approached the entrance, the suspect "appeared to be pretty calm" , Keevill said. As the officers started to ask him for his pass... he drew a weapon from his pocket and started shooting, […] He did not say anything.Keevill described the shooter as "very well-educated" elegantly dressed and determined to make a major carnage in the heart of American military power.
The shooter has been identified. He’s a 36 years old resident of Hollister, California called John Patrick Bedell. He had previous run-ins with the law
The media reported that video surveillance cameras showed Mr. Bedell talking with another man before the shooting at the entrance of the massive building of the Ministry of Defense. 
But Mr. Keevill told the reporters that the videotape confirms what we have said, namely that the gunman acted alone. 
The motive for the shooting still has to be found. However, the Associated Press reports that a blog posting via the social networking site LinkedIn by a user named JPatrickBedell indicates resentment for the military and doubts of cover-ups behind the 9/11. The user named JPatrickBedell wrote about "establishing the truth of events such as the September 11 demolitions." The blog contained a treatise on government and its vulnerability to being controlled by a criminal organization: This organization, like so many murderous governments throughout history, would see the sacrifice of thousands of its citizens, in an event such as the September 11 attacks, as a small cost in order to perpetuate its barbaric control he wrote.
San Benito County Sheriff Curtis Hill told the AP the parents of John Patrick Bedell filed a missing persons report and were worried about his mental stability. After reading an e-mail from their son to an acquaintance, the parents told deputies that he might have purchased a gun. According to court records from a 2006 California arrest for a man by the same name, he suffered from bipolar disorder.
More about Pentagon, Shooter, Defense
More news from