Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageAfghanistan to ban media coverage of Taliban attacks

By Andrew Moran     Mar 1, 2010 in World
Kabul - The government of Afghanistan recently announced that they will no longer have media coverage of Taliban attacks because they feel it emboldens the Islamist insurgents.
On Monday, Afghanistan announced it will ban media coverage of Taliban terrorist attacks because images and coverage embolden the militants as they continue to increase their strikes around the nation, according to Reuters.
When journalists cover such events they must only film the aftermath of the attacks and must seek permission from the National Directorate of Security spy agency. At the present time, journalists who cover the events will be stopped and footage will be seized by the government.
“Live coverage does not benefit the government, but benefits the enemies of Afghanistan,” said NDS spokesperson Saeed Arisari.
However, many groups are opposed to the decision by the Afghan government because they feel it would deprive the general public of crucial and vital information about the state of the nation, reports ABC News.
“The government should not hide their inabilities by barring media from covering incidents. People want to know all the facts on the ground whenever security incidents take place,” said Laila Noori a monitor of media issues for Afghanistan Rights Monitor.
This is not the first time the government has taken such measures, though. During last year’s presidential election, the Afghan government banned the media from reporting violence for one day. Many members of the media have also been beaten by security forces for their video footage of such catastrophes.
More about Taliban attacks, Afghanistan, Media coverage
More news from
Latest News
Top News