Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageKeeping warm kills one man, puts wife in hospital

By Kassandra Garcia     Dec 10, 2009 in Health
A Portland, Oregon couple tries to keep warm by using a natural gas heater and closing up their home. The husband dies and the wife is rushed to the hospital.
Carbon monoxide was the cause of death for the man in the Southeast Portland home on Wednesday night. However, the small heater was to blame; with a lack of proper venting the gas filled the home with out any detection. The home's windows and doors had been sealed to keep the heat in and the winter weather out.
In an interview reported by NorthWest Cable News, regarding the incident Lt. Allen Oswalt, from the Portland Fire Bureau explained, "Carbon monoxide is called the 'silent killer' because it is odorless, tasteless and you can't see it. Early warning signs are unexplained headache and unexplained nausea. Efforts to stay warm in this extremely cold weather can lead to tragedy. Gas appliances should be checked yearly by a professional just like your chimney."
Members of the family called 9-1-1 after noticing they had not heard anything from the couple since Monday evening. Once on the scene fire personnel reported that the carbon monoxide levels in the home were at dangerous levels.
As of earlier this morning, the woman was said to be in critical condition in a local area hospital. No word yet on how she is doing or when she is expected to recover.
More about Natural gas, Death, Oregon
More news from
Latest News
Top News