Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter
Connect your Digital Journal account with Facebook or Twitter to use this feature.

House fire kills 20-year-old woman in Cranbrook, B.C.

By Salim Jiwa     Oct 31, 2009 in Health
Police don't know yet if there was a smoke detector in the house yet, but it appears a woman killed in a Cranbrook house fire died from smoke inhalation. She died early Saturday.
CRANBROOK, B.C. – A 20-year-woman rescued from a house fire died Saturday morning.
Police and fire were called to the scene of the house fire on 4th St, Northwest at 2:40 a.m. and the fire was brought under control, said RCMP spokesman Chris Falkner.
Two people were found to be suffering from smoke inhalation and were taken to Cranbrook Regional Hospital. The woman died at 8:20 a.m.
Her identity is not being released at this time, pending notification of the next of kin. The B.C. Coroner’s Office has now been called in to investigate the death.
“A preliminary investigation by the Cranbrook Fire Department indicates that the fire may have started near the kitchen stove and spread up through the ceiling and into the attic,” said Falkner.
“At the present time, police are not aware whether a smoke detector was in the house, but that will be part of the Fire Department and Coroner’s investigation,” he said.
“Police want to remind everyone that a smoke detector is an important part of fire safety, and to have you in-home smoke detectors checked regularly,” he said in a statement..
More about House Fire, Cranbrook, Woman dead
More news from