Save the date: Sept 24, 2009 at the Drake Hotel, Toronto. Doors open at 7:30 p.m., event starts at 8 p.m.
Toronto, ON – Citizen media news outlet DigitalJournal.com is proud to announce it will be hosting a unique panel discussion featuring some of the most influential leaders in Canadian media. Dubbed “The Future of Media,” the live panel discussion will explore how the mainstream media are implementing user-generated content and what challenges news organizations face in the changing news economy today.
The event will take place Thursday September 24 at the Drake Hotel Underground
(1150 Queen Street West) at 8 p.m. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. and admission is free and open to the public. Seating is limited and will be on a first-come, first-serve basis. The event will also be filmed and broadcast online after the event.
The panel includes the following speakers:
The Future of Media
will be moderated by DigitalJournal.com managing editor, David Silverberg
. Many high-end gadgets tailored for journalists will be available as raffle prizes to attendees.
This is a must-see event for anyone interested in the rapidly changing landscape of new media. The speakers will discuss some of the biggest challenges the mainstream media face today; the extent to which everyday people can impact media companies in an era where citizen reporters are playing an increasingly larger role; the motivations of the public to report on current affairs; and how and if the mainstream media should involve citizen journalism as part of their news.
“Many people want to find out how media outlets will change and evolve into the future,” says Chris Hogg, CEO of DigitalJournal.com. “The Future of Media discussion will not only make us think about where news is going, but also ask questions about how regular people are involved in the news-gathering process.”
Prizes from our sponsors:
Sponsored by Toshiba Canada
, Rogers Communications
, The Flip
, Lacie Canada
, and POIFriend.com
, attendees will also have the chance to win some fantastic prizes:
- 5 Flip Video MinoHD camcorders fitted with a custom Digital Journal logo (more info). For more info on the Flip MinoHD and other models, visit Flip's website here.
- 3 GPS devices pre-loaded with special “Points of Interest” from POIfriend.com (more info). To download your own points-of-interest for your GPS for free, visit POIfriend.com.
- 2 HP Mini 110 netbooks with embedded mobile broadband technology from Rogers (more info). More info on Rogers' mobile internet can be found on their website here.
- 3 LaCinema Rugged 320GB portable multimedia hard drives from LaCie (more info). You can view more mobile hard drives and storage solutions at LaCie's website here.
- 1 Toshiba Satellite U500 notebook (more info). You can also sign up for Toshiba's newsletter on the bottom left-hand side of this page, or enter Toshiba's "Profile of Innovation" contest for a chance to win your company more than $20,000 in technology for the office!
For more info, interview opportunities or press passes to the event, contact David Silverberg or Chris Hogg by phone at (416) 410-9675 or online here