Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageDeath count from explosions at Jakarta hotels reaches 9, wound 50

By Kat Zhao     Jul 16, 2009 in World
Bombs exploded at the locations of two luxury American hotels in Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia, and killed at nine people early Friday morning, local police officials confirm.
The Ritz-Carlton and Marriott are both located in upscale neighborhoods in the central part of the city. The Ritz-Carlton's facade has been ripped off and its windows immediately above the ground floor shattered by the explosion.
Streets nearby are littered with pieces of shattered glass and other debris from the building.
The explosion at the Marriott took place first just before 8 a.m. with the blast at the Ritz-Carlton following five minutes later.
According to presidential spokesperson Dino Patti Djalal, the two explosions are part of "a coordinated attack."
Of the nine people confirmed dead so far, four are foreigners. The majority of deaths resulted from the Marriott blast.
A South Jakarta police representative says at least 10 people have been found injured and transported to the local hospital in ambulances. According to the Associated Press, hospital officials report that at least 36 people have been injured from the explosions.
Col. Firman Bundi says the bodies of the deceased also have been taken to the hospital.
A car bomb explosion damaged the same Marriott hotel in 2003, which killed 12 and injured 150 people.
Following news of the explosions, the British soccer team Manchester United announced to the Indonesian Football Association the cancellation of its match on Monday against an Indonesian all-stars team. Manchester United had been scheduled to land in Jakarta on Saturday; several players were booked to stay at the Ritz-Carlton.
More about Jakarta, Explosion, Bombs
More news from
Latest News
Top News