Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageFailure of Intelligence or Deliberate Obfuscation?

By Ronel Pelovello     Jul 9, 2009 in World
Partylist Representative Teodoro Casiño of militant group Bayan Muna on Thursday condemned the recent wave of bombing attacks but said the lack of credible information from authorities smacks of either a failure of intelligence or deliberate cover up.
"We condemn the series of bombings and bomb scares that injured and killed civilians as acts against humanity, and we sympathize with those who have been affected by this deplorable string of events," said Casiño in a statement e-mailed to the media.
At least eight people were killed and more than 50 civilians were wounded in separate bombing incidents in Mindanao.
Casiño, who is in Mindanao State University-Iligan Institute of Technology for a forum and the launching of the People's MARCH (People's Movement Against Charter Change)-Lanao chapter, characterized the bombing as “deplorable acts against humanity”.
The opposition lawmaker thinks the bombing attacks could have been prevented “had the intelligence community performed their duties of preventing lawless acts and apprehending criminal elements".
"Now, we have more reason to think that either there is failure of intelligence on the part of the military and police, or there is an ongoing cover-up and obfuscation meant to confuse the public," said Casiño.
"With all the speculations circulating about the possible motives and perpetrators responsible for the bombings, we are appalled and alarmed about the lack of credible information from authorities," he added.
Casiño said that so far none of the official statements of authorities would point away from the administration of President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo as the “chief beneficiary of a chaotic scenario”.
Members of the opposition earlier warned that the Arroyo administration is planning to impose repressive measures and emergency rule, meant to push changes to the constitution to keep Mrs. Arroyo in power.
Malacanang has repeatedly denied such accusations from the opposition.
Casiño pointed out that despite billions of pesos of people’s money earmarked for intelligence funds of Malacanang, the military and the police, all the authorities could say that bomb scares were ordinary prior to the State of the Nation Address (SONA).
President Arroyo will deliver her SONA at the opening of the 3rd Regular Session of the 14th Congress on July 27.
However, National Security Adviser Norberto Gonzale said in a television interview Wednesday that no matter how good intelligence work of the authorities were there is always a possibility that terrorists may avoid detection.
“I don’t want to say at this time that there was no lapse in intelligence. However, if you look at past events, bombers have slipped through the net of even the best intelligence agencies of the world, with billions of dollars in their budget,” Gonzales said.
More about Mindanao, Philippines, Teodoro casi, Bombing, Terrorist
More news from
Latest News
Top News