Farid Noedost, 33, an immigrant from Iran and a convicted sex offender was ordered to be released from custody after a hearing Thursday, July 2nd in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Immigration officials will be responsible for his supervision.
According to CBC News, Farid Noedost, 33, an immigrant from Iran and a convicted sex offender was ordered to be released from custody after a hearing Thursday, July 2nd in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada agreed that if Noedost were deported he could face death once he was returned to Iran.
Michael McPhelan, of the Immigration and Refugee Board, who ordered Farid to be released on conditions agreed to in the hearing, said he wasn’t convinced the man will not re-offend.
"I have concerns that you are dangerous to the public in Canada," McPhelan said by means of a video conference from Vancouver to a Winnipeg courtroom.
"The way you have conducted yourself in Canada is despicable. You are a danger to girls under 18."
McPhelan agreed with Immigration officials saying, "The need to protect the Canadian public is outweighed by the risk you face in your country of origin."
Noedost was ordered to comply with his parole conditions, which require him to meet weekly with a parole officer and avoid being around female minors. He also must comply to monthly meetings with immigration officials and notify them if he changes jobs or his address.
While on probation, the public is not required to be notified of the whereabouts of any sex offender and must depend on probation officials to supervise those offenders.
Provincial justice critic Kelvin Goertzen said in response to the decision that he didn’t believe that Noedost should be allowed to walk free from prison and his safety put ahead of Canadians. In response to the boards decision Goertzen added that it was “disturbing and most people will be disturbed by it.”
Goertzen further added that if immigration officials think there is an imminent threat to Noedost in Iran, he should "at the very least, still be incarcerated," and be deported when the threat no longer exists and that, "There is recognition that he still poses a threat to (Canadian) society."
In 2006, Noedost was arrested after two girls, aged 16 and 15, allegedly accused him of giving them drugs and alcohol on three separate occasions. After passing out, they said Farid would then abuse them. Noedost’s 16-year-old girlfriend reported the alleged attacks, and told police she found a videotape of two of the incidences. She said Noedost eventually destroyed the tape by throwing it in a fire.
In December 2007 Noedost was convicted and sentenced to three years in prison for possession of cocaine for the purposes of trafficking and given a three year suspended sentence and probation for a sexual assault conviction in April of 2008. He also has been fined for prior convictions from 2000 to 2002 for drugs, fraud and mischief. Noedost also has warrants for his arrest after escaping Iranian authorities before his immigration to Canada.
Earlier this week, Noedost was taken into custody by immigration authorities after his release on parole from Stony Mountain Correctional Institution. His deportation became mandatory after his latest sentence because it was a federal penitentiary term that exceeded two years.