Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter
Connect your Digital Journal account with Facebook or Twitter to use this feature.
Connect
Log In Sign Up
In the Media

article imageManny Pacquiao-Shane Mosley Fight Almost a Done Deal

article:273606:14::0
By Leo Reyes
Jun 3, 2009 in Sports
Share
The Pacquiao-Mosley fight is almost certain as the popular Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao said in a TV News interview last night that he has no problem facing Mosley on October 17 but added that his team and the promoters will have to make it happen
In an interview aired over GMA 7 TV News last night, pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao said that he is willing to face Shane Mosley on October 17th but his team and the promoters will have to make the fight happen. He said he has no problem with Mosley.
This statement is the closest comment by Pacquiao on the possibility of facing Mosley for his next fight. Earlier Pacquiao expressed his desire to face former pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather, Jr.but he must first win over Juan Manuel Marquez in their July encounter at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. But even if he wins over Marquez, it would be difficult for Mayweather to train almost non-stop for the October 17th date with Pacquiao.
Another reason why Mayweather is losing his chances of facing Pacquiao for the October 17th fight is his insistent demand for a 60-40 fight purse in his favor. Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum said it’s not going to happen.
Shane Mosley has been persistent in his desire to face Pacquiao. He has been telling the media that he is easier to deal with. In terms of fight purse, he indicated that he may accept a 60-40 sharing in favor of Pacquiao as he acknowledged that Pacquiao is the current pound-for-pound king.
The Manila Times reports:
Pacquiao, 30, said he is willing to fight Mosley for a shot at his sixth title in as many weight divisions in his October 17 fight, but he leaves it to his management team to work it out.
The breakthrough came last week after Mosley (46-5-0, 39 knockouts) told Yahoo! Sports and RingTV.com that he is willing to go down to 144 pounds to book an immediate fight with Pacquiao (49-3-2, 37 by KOs).
Earlier, Pacquiao’s Trainer Freddie Roach asked Mosley if he is willing to trim down to 142 for a shot at the pound-for-pound king but Mosley declined. “Now, if Shane Mosley wants to fight Manny at 143 or 144, then we’re in business,” Roach said.
“I fought Antonio Margarito at 147, and I don’t see why losing a few more pounds to fight Manny will be a problem,” said Mosley, who has not fought below the welterweight limit in almost 10 years, the report added
article:273606:14::0
More about Sports, Boxing, Mosley pacquiao, USA, Philippines
More news from
Sports Video
Latest News
Top News
Engage

Corporate

Help & Support

News Links

copyright © 2014 digitaljournal.com   |   powered by dell servers