Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageDid a boy kill himself after becoming addicted to energy drinks?

By Subhabrata Das     May 8, 2009 in Crime
The father of an 11-year-old boy in Bolton, UK, has reportedly claimed that his son committed suicide after he became addicted to energy drinks. Read on to know how stimulating drinks changed the life of a happy-go-lucky boy.
Tyler Jones was a cheerful and intelligent boy until he developed an addiction to stimulating energy drinks in order to make himself feel grown up, as told by Lee Jones, the devastated father of Tyler. Neighbors of Jones family were quite impressed with the little boy’s good behavior. However, Tyler gradually became "hyper and disruptive" in the months leading to his death last year, Lee said.
On November 12, 2008, Tyler was found hanging in his bedroom. His mother, who reportedly discovered him hanging, reportedly saw a one-litter caffeine drink lying near his body.
In an inquest into the death of Tyler this Thursday, Lee said he told his son not to buy those drinks anymore and also requested one local shop owner to stop selling them to Tyler. But the boy continued consuming them instead of heeding his father's warning.
Johns said: “The drinks only cost £1 (1.5 USD) or £2. Before he started on energy drinks he got awards in class. I am convinced the drinks affected his behavior.”
Very soon the boy was suspended by the senior school due to his bad behavior. He was then sent to another school on a reintegration program where he stayed off the energy drinks. He performed extremely well during this period and earned several certificates.
However, after coming back from the program he started downing stimulating drinks again.
Lee said on the day Tyler died he was sent back home by his school for being disruptive. He failed to explain to his parents why he had misbehaved in the school. He was then told to go to his bedroom.
Tyler was reportedly unhappy with this punishment and was stomping around in his room. A few minutes later his mother found Tyler hanged.
Although Lee tried to resuscitate him but later that evening he was declared dead at the Royal Bolton Hospital.
Peter Watts, assistant deputy coroner for Bolton, recorded an open verdict. He said he was not convinced that the boy intended to commit suicide.
After inquest Lee said: “Tyler is so missed. These drinks did affect him. They should not be sold to those under 16. There is so much said about what children should eat and there are links between children's behavior and food. Yet these drinks are freely available.”
A British Soft Drinks Association spokesman said that high-caffeine energy drinks are neither targeted to children nor recommended for their consumption.
Notably, caffeine could be harmful and lead to insomnia, anxiety and hyperactivity if not taken in moderation.
More about Energy drink, Caffeine, Bolton, Suicide
More news from
Latest News
Top News