The 1937 Type 57S Atalante Bugatti
car was produced on a limited edition basis -- only 17 of them were built and sold. One of them was owned by Earl Howe, the first President of the British Racing Drivers’ Club.
Howe kept the car for eight years and sold it. The car eventually ended up with Newcastle doctor Harold Carr in 1955.
Carr drove it for the next five years and for some reasons left the car in a garage for the next 50 years. Relatives of Carr found the dusty car in a garage
after Carr’s death.
The relatives listed
the car at an auction in Paris throughthe Bonham auction agency. They listed the Bugatti with the following description:
"The new owner will have the pleasure of firing up [engine] 26S and hearing that turbine-like sound that so excited Earl Howe when he collected this car from Sorel in 1937.
"Once again [chassis] 57502, a true supercar with impeccable credentials, emerges to take its place on the world stage."
The car also sported an incredibly low mileage with only 26,284 kilometers (16,322.12 miles).
The car was finally sold for 3,417,500 Euros ($4,399,347).
Of the 17 cars produced, four of the Bugatti 57S are at the Musee Nationale de L'Automobile in Mulhouse, France, and the remaining are in the hands of private collectors.
There is a video in the article
about this auctioned Bugatti 57S car.