Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

120 journalists murdered worldwide in 2008

By Adriana Stuijt     Feb 3, 2009 in Crime
Kenyan journalist Francis Kainda Nyaruri was found decapitated. He's the second journalist murdered within a year in the East-African country: New Zealand photographer Trent Keegan was murdered in May - and worldwide,120 journalists were killed in 2008.
Nyaruri's gruesome torture-murder are very likely related to his exposes about the extortion and embezzlement practices of local police, an international media watchdog said on Tuesday.
Francis Kainda Nyaruri is the second journalist killed in Kenya the past year. In May 2008, New Zealand photographer Trent Keegan was also killed by unknown assailants in Nairobi. The East-African country is suffering from increasing ethnic-tensions and violence, and half of its population has now been plunged into famine because of last year's ethnic-violence. See
Paris-based Reporters Without Borders (RSF) said it was shocked by the killing of Nyaruri, a freelancer based in the southwestern town of Nyambira. see
Last year, 120 journalists and press photographers were killed worldwide, they added.
His corpse showed that he had been extensively tortured: itt bore deep gashes and his hands were tied behind his back. He was found on Jan. 29 two weeks after he disappeared.
Nyaruri, who wrote for the private Weekly Citizen under the pen name Mong’are Mokua, had been missing since January 15, according to local journalists and relatives.
“We send our deepest sympathies to Francis Nyaruri’s family and colleagues,” said CPJ’s Africa program coordinator, Tom Rhodes. “We call on the police to pursue all possible leads and ensure that the perpetrators of this hideous crime are brought to justice swiftly.”
Nyanza deputy police Chief Larry Kieng confirmed to reporters that Nyaruri’s body was found in a thicket in Kodera Forest, Nyanza Province, on Thursday, decapitated with hands tied behind his back and marks on his body.
Nyaruri’s wife, Josephine Kwamboka, identified her husband at a Kisii hospital, according to local reports. Kieng said a team of senior officers had been dispatched to Nyamira to investigate the murder,
RSF said in a statement everything possible should be done to establish the motive for the murder and to bring those responsible to justice "keeping in mind its shocking symbolism for the Kenyan population".
"According to the privately-owned daily The Standard, Nyaruri had reported being threatened by police officers over several articles he wrote for a local weekly," RSF said.
Nyanza acting Provincial Police Officer Larry Kien'g said Nyaruri had complained to colleagues of threats by police officers in relation to articles he had written in a local weekly newspaper, the Weekly Citizen. Prior to his disappearance, Nyaruri had written a series of articles that exposed financial scams and other malpractice by the local police department, local journalists also told CPJ.
Nyaruri left his residence in Nyamira at about 7:30 am on January 15 and traveled 19 miles (30 kilometers) to Kisii to purchase construction materials, local journalists reported. His wife Kwamboka told reporters that she had spoken to him at 11 a.m. the same day but did not hear from him again. see
Ever since last year's elections, Kenya's large number of ethnic-minorities, all pulled together inside one artifical 'colonial-era' border, has had repeated outbreaks of increasingly violent ethnic-violence.
Also see
More about Kenyan journalists murdered, Famine, Decapicatated, Tortured
More news from