- The pond, located in Clinton County, is where the sick birds were found. Some had already perished, but others were disoriented and unable to fly, and are expected to die.
Tests determined that the birds were infected with a fungus, Aspergillosis. The fungus is picked up by birds eating moldy grains, bread or even livestock feed. The fungus grows in their lungs and air sacs, which initiates respiratory distress then suffocation.
The fungus is said
to be able to cause 'large-scale die-offs'
but is not otherwise contagious and there are no health risks to humans.
Authorities are asking that anyone finding sick or deceased waterfowl to call their local NYS Department of Environmental conservation so the deaths can be documented..