Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

Sex Offender Dies During Struggle With Intended Victim's Father

By Nikki Weingartner     Sep 29, 2008 in Crime
Registered sex offender has dinner with family on Saturday night and then breaks into their home hours later wearing nothing but latex gloves and a mask. He had a rope, knife and condoms on his person. He died during a struggle with the victim's father.
A man wearing nothing more than a birthday suit and carrying a knife, a rope and condoms died during a struggle after he broke into a family's Indianapolis, IN home around 3:30 am on September 28, 2008.
The potential victim, a 17-year-old girl, is reported to have awoke to find a stranger in her room. When she screamed, her father, 64-year-old Robert McNally ran to her rescue. According to a news article:
Police said Meyers was naked except for a mask and latex gloves and had entered the home through a window near the girl's bedroom with rope, condoms and a knife. He was familiar with the home's layout because it belonged to a relative, police said.
The girl awoke and screamed when she saw the man in her room, police said. The father responded and struggled with the intruder while the girl's mother phoned 911.
David T. Meyers died at the scene. He may have had a heart attack due to a known heart condition however police officials state that ""If a person breaks into your home, you are justified in using deadly force in defending your family. In this situation, I don't think he was trying to kill him, he was trying to hold him down."
McNally is not expected to be charged.
The 52-year-old sex offender had spent 10 years in prison for "criminal confinement and sexual deviate conduct." He also had a warrant out for his arrest for failure to register as a sex offender in another county but was registered in Marion County. Meyers was reported to have lived with his mother and had also recently lost his job.
In a local Indianapolis news report, it was explained how the McNally's actually rented the home from Meyers' uncle and had dinner with the attacker only hours prior to the attack. It was also reported that Meyers had stopped taking his psychiatric medication and did have a history of mental problems.
There were no reports of any other injuries and fortunately, all family members were safe.
More about Sex offender, Dead, Indianapolis
More news from
Latest News
Top News