Andy Bacas was unpacking his luggage after a team trip to South Carolina when he felt a sharp bite to his hand. The coach was bitten by a baby caneback rattler who appears to have wanted to get warm . That 'baby snake' was almost a foot long.
Bacas, a high school coach had been away for the weekend with his team. While in South Carolina his luggage was left open on a porch making it easy for a stowaway to slither in.
Canesnake rattlers have a strong venom but the young are not generally large enough to have enough toxin to kill an adult human. Full grown they can be six feet.
There's an old wives' tale that says a baby rattlesnake bite is worse than an adult bite, but that's just not true," Bob Myers, director of the American International Rattlesnake Museum in New Mexico said.
When fire and rescue arrived at the Bacas' house they took the snake out with a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher. The chemical in the extinguisher froze the snake to death.
Bacas, a rowing coach at Yorktown High School is recovering at Inova Fairfax Hospital in stable condition.
Every year about 8,000 people are bitten by rattlesnakes in the United States. Three to four of those will die from those bites.