It may just be time for some doctors to pay the piper. The California Department of Justice has served eight search warrants to those in connection with prescription drugs that Anna Nicole Smith took.
The courts are investigating the death of Smith who died of an accidental drug overdose in Februry. The former Playboy model died in Florida.
The warrants were serves to the homes of two doctors, a business that is owned by one of those doctors, four businesses owned by the other doctor and a storage shed used by one of the doctors.
Both Khristine Erochevich, Smith's psychiatrist, and Dr. Sandeep Kapoor who were served have been investigated by the California Medical Board.
Howard K. Stern was at the home of Erochevich when the warrant was served. Stern was the live-in boyfriend of Smith at the time of her death.
At the time of Smith's death prescription bottles were found in her hotel room with both her name and Stern's name on them.
Prior to her death she had an abscess on her left buttock that had been perforated by a needle. The probable reason was to have growth hormone or vitamin B-12 injected. The hole that was caused allowed for bacteria to enter her blood. Smith had been ill and the fever she had was probably the result of that bacteria. She was being treated with the antibiotics Tamiflu and Cipro at the time of her death.
Smith is said to have suffered from chronic thyroiditis. The condition can cause "fatigue, depression, sensitivity to cold, weight gain, forgetfulness, muscle weakness, puffy face, dry skin and hair, constipation, muscle cramps, and increased menstrual flow," according to a Department of Health and Human Services Web site.
The abscess and a possible case of influenza contributed to the woman's death.
When the toxicology report came back after Smith's death her blood had three antidepressants, human growth hormone, Benadryl, Klonopin and chloral hydrate, a sedative. The underlying cause of her death was the use of chloral hydrate with the other drugs in her system.
Smith's son Daniel died of an accidental overdose three days after she gave born to her youngest child in September of 2006. That child, Dannielynn now resides with her father Larry Birkhead.